Disclaimer

As I go to counseling and talk to my family and friends, the truth of things that have happened to me or that I have done will come out. Some will be graphic, others sad, some might just be angering for others. For all this I am sorry, but it needs to come out so that people can understand where my depression and anger come from. There for I do want to apologize a head of time and please don't be afraid to comment or leave your thoughts on my Blog. Thank You.

Need Immediate Help?

If you are having thoughts of death or suicide, call 1–800–273–8255 (TALK), or if you need immediate assistance, call 911 or go to a hospital emergency room
"Who then can so softly bind up the wound of another as he who has felt the same wound himself" ~~Thomas Jefferson.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Blog for Mental Health Day

Today is blog for Mental Health day for awareness of Mental Health month.

 Have you blogged today?

What does Mental Health advocacy mean to you?

For me it is about making people aware of the concerns surrounding mental illness. In my state, NC, major budget cuts have been made where Mental Health is concerned. What this means to the people of our state is that there are going to be less programs, less needs met due to lower budgets, less medication programs, and less community centers geared toward mental health recovery.

I fight everyday to let people know about mental illness and the stigma surrounding it. It is a crying shame when people, not just people with mental illness, but people in general can't get the help they need due to the governments need to sacrifice programs. Most of them sit in their offices, swearing to us that they will make things better when in reality they get caught up in all the hoopla of the lobbyists or the money makers.

This week I got 2 letters from social security telling me that my illnesses doesn't qualify for disability. I have 9 different mental health and medical needs and according to them none of them qualify. I find that funny as shit! All because I don't have a current Doctor due to not having money or insurance is what it amounts to!

So the point of this blog today is to fight! Fight for what you believe in. Fight where you heart lies. Fight for your right to be heard! JUST FIGHT!

Okay, I'll calm down now before I keep going and do my grateful list. LOL

1) I'm grateful for the interview I had today and the possibilities that it may bring me when I get it.
2) I'm grateful for the training that I am receiving this weekend thanks to NAMI.
3) I am grateful for the email I received today from another potential employer who told me that I was the best interview she ever had.
4) I am grateful that I no longer have to eat my step-dad's cooking. LOL. I even know how to be diplomatic about telling him he can't cook. LMAO
5) I'm grateful for the 2 dogs who have now decided they love me and want to be everywhere I go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog! Funny that May 18th is Mental Health Day... May 18th, 2003 is when I had my first suicide attempt and started my journey into mental illness. Keep up the good work, you're doing great at training!

Mental Health Month Blog Day Badge