Disclaimer

As I go to counseling and talk to my family and friends, the truth of things that have happened to me or that I have done will come out. Some will be graphic, others sad, some might just be angering for others. For all this I am sorry, but it needs to come out so that people can understand where my depression and anger come from. There for I do want to apologize a head of time and please don't be afraid to comment or leave your thoughts on my Blog. Thank You.

Need Immediate Help?

If you are having thoughts of death or suicide, call 1–800–273–8255 (TALK), or if you need immediate assistance, call 911 or go to a hospital emergency room
"Who then can so softly bind up the wound of another as he who has felt the same wound himself" ~~Thomas Jefferson.

Monday, May 17, 2010

What is RECOVERY?

Many people look at the word "Recovery" and instantly think that it means you're completely healed of what ever your disease is. But that isn't the case here at all, recovery can mean a lot of different things. For those of us with a mental illness, substance abuse, different addictions, it can be a life changing event.

To us, you're only healed 100% if your using the word "recovered". That way it's easier for us to remember. Many people have been asking me what recovery looks like. Well, it looks like whatever you want it to. There is no right or wrong answer here. It's entirely up to you what it means and looks like.

For me recovery is; waking up each day and starting my day off with a smile, getting my schoolwork done, remembering to take me medicines and eat something, going to my grammy's and helping take care of her, come home and do more school work, studying and taking more tests to be one step a head of the CPSS job that I am looking for, this list could keep going. LOL. I'll stop there though as I am sure by now you get the general idea of it.

I am not now, nor will I ever be 100% healed, after all I have Bipolar Disorder and it is a disease that will stay with me the rest of my life unless find  a cure for it. LOL. Anyone want to be the test dummy? HEHE

When you figure out that your in recovery, you may have a bad day. This doesn't mean that your out of recovery! It just means your having a bad day, so don't get to grief stricken by a bad day or a bad week. We all have them, (matter of fact I'm having a bad day right now and I am on my way to an interview). LOL It's when you relapse for long periods of time that you should be worried.

Well kiddies, being as I have to get heading out, I will do my grateful list and run out the door.

1) I am grateful for this interview that I am headed off to.
2) I am grateful for the snoring puppy on the bed beside me.
3) I am grateful for the bird feeder that now hangs outside my window so that I can watch all the gorgeous birds.
4) I am grateful for all the people who are giving me a variety of chances and pick-me-ups.
5) I am grateful that my vision wall is in front of me to look at daily!

Havean awesome day and keep smiling everyone....

No comments:

Mental Health Month Blog Day Badge